Hampton Roads City Services
Between unpacking boxes, painting the walls, and organizing your home, you have to take care of pesky tasks to get everything all set up. If you’ve just relocated to Hampton Roads, here’s a quick tip sheet to the services provided the city and how to get everything set up.
Recycling, Composting & Waste
Collection in Virginia Beach includes trash and curbside recycling. Here’s what you need to know about your first garbage day:
- The collection day for your neighborhood varies, so make sure to check it regularly, and have your bin out before 7 am.
- Your bin should be a 95-gallon container. You can purchase these from the Waste Management Division, and the blue recycling containers are free.
- Recycling pick up is every other week. You can include items like paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, glass jars, and metal cans. Be sure not to mix in any garbage.
- Large, bulky items can also be picked up. Just book an appointment with the city.
- The Virginia Beach Landfill and Resource Recovery Center is the destination for waste such as carpets, tires, and hazardous materials. Don’t throw these out in your normal garbage, because they usually need special processing.
Looking to get your home all set up? Easily call the providers to get everything transferred and the services installed in your home.
For details on providers like Dominion Power or Virginia Natural Gas, browse our utilities directory. You’ll find links and contact details for all of the water, electric, and natural gas suppliers.
Regulations vary in each municipality, so it’s important to inquire about the permits you may need in your new home. This can include anything as simples as a license for your dog to simple to a building permit for renovations.