Three years after the Civil War ended, on May 5, 1868, the head of an organization of Union veterans — the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) — established Decoration Day as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the war dead with flowers. Maj. Gen. John A. Logan declared that Decoration Day should be observed on May 30. It is believed that date was chosen because flowers would be in bloom all over the country.
The first large observance was held that year at Arlington National Cemetery, across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C.
The ceremonies centered around the mourning-draped veranda of the Arlington mansion, once the home of Gen. Robert E. Lee. Various Washington officials, including Gen. and Mrs. Ulysses S.
Getting Hungry? Click Here To Find Restaurants In Hampton Roads!
4 cups broth of your choice 10 oz uncooked linguine 10 oz broccoli florets 1 pound asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces 1 small onion, diced 4 cloves garlic, minced ½ tsp red pepper flakes Salt & pepper to taste 1 tsp olive oil 4 oz mushrooms, sliced ¼ cup heavy whipping cream ½ cup grated parmesan 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. In a pot over high heat, combine broth, linguine, broccoli, asparagus, onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir. 2. Add the mushrooms and bring to a boil. 3. Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook the pasta for 10 minutes,
Mother's day is right around the corner! If you're looking for a unique gift for mom, try out one of these great D.I.Y gifts:
Mom's Emergency Stash Kit
This is such an easy and thoughtful gift that mom will LOVE! Find this plastic container, or one similar, in the craft section at Walmart or at your local craft store! Then, gather your mom's favorite treats and personalize this great stash of sweets!
Mom's DIY Herb Tins
How cute is this?!? You can make this in just a few steps:
1. Grab a few cans from your recycling bin
2. Spray paint cans with mom's favorite color, and get creative decorating!
3. Plant one herb per tin!
Visit Our Business Directory To Find A Great Place To Take Mom Out!
Last week we discussed how important it is to SHOP around, and speak to multiple creditors in order to get the best rate on your mortgage; this week, we want to tell you what questions to ask! When speaking to a creditor, one important piece of advise is to ask the SAME questions to each creditor, and if they "dance" around the answers, there's your red flag.
Here are your top 3 questions to ask a creditor when you're shopping for a mortgage:
1. Do you or your company pay the agent or their company any fees on a monthly or yearly basis for the opportunity to quote my loan? If yes, how much?
2. First tell them what "TYPE" of loan and down payment amount you need... then ask, what is your current